Helen C. Dillon - Portland Oregon Family Law Lawyer

Helen C. Dillon, Attorney at Law
3005 S.E. Carlton
Portland, OR 97202-8651
Phone: (503) 548-2532
Toll Free: (877) 213-7749
Fax: (503) 771-7024
Map and Directions

Same-Sex Couple Issues

Knowledgeable Assistance with Complex Same-Sex Couple Concerns

Same-sex couples face increased challenges when striving to protect their children, share medical benefits, reduce tax liability, and numerous other matters. Dealing with the complicated issues relating to same-sex domestic partnerships or formal or informal cohabitation agreements can become an overwhelming prospect, one best approached with the guidance of an experienced and caring lawyer.

I am Helen C. Dillon, Attorney at Law, and I have worked diligently to gain an in-depth understanding of the ever-changing laws relating to same-sex couples in an effort to provide comprehensive assistance to clients facing a wide variety of issues. My Portland, Oregon office provides a safe haven for clients to discuss their personal issues without fear, giving you the peace of mind in knowing that your issues will be addressed in a compassionate, understanding, and confidential manner.

Call (503) 548-2532 or toll free (877) 213-7749 or contact my office online to schedule an appointment to discuss your specific needs.

Interpreting the Complex and Changing Laws Governing Same-Sex Unions

I offer extensive representation to clients facing numerous same-sex issues, including:

  • Registered domestic partnership: Whether creating or dissolving  registered domestic partnerships, I am able to help my clients obtain rights similar to those of wedded couples including medical decisions, health insurance, custody of children, and many other issues. Consideration must be given, however, to the complications caused by the fact that federal laws do not apply to same-sex unions. Such partnerships can become exceptionally complicated, involving large tax implications for planning when being established or during a dissolution of the partnership or relationship.
  • Cohabitation agreements: My work with cohabitation/living together agreements allows me to provide assistance in the creation and dissolution of such agreements. Cohabitation agreements cannot provide rights to the same extent as registered domestic partnerships can, but they can involve numerous complications during dissolution. Registered domestic partnerships are not available to heterosexual couples, but cohabitation agreements are.

Contact my office to schedule an appointment to discuss your specific registered domestic partnership, cohabitation or same-sex couple concerns.


I, Helen C. Dillon, Attorney at Law, am pleased to offer compassionate and assertive legal representation to clients in Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Gresham, West Linn, Wilsonville, Tualatin, Woodburn, Lake Oswego, Clackamas, Hillsboro, St. Helens, Clatskanie, Happy Valley, Milwaukie and Gladstone as well as to residents of Washington County, Multnomah County, Clackamas County and Columbia County.